Saturday, October 24, 2009

Networking?

When setting up a [wireless] network between a notebook and a desktop:





Can I connect the router to the computer rather than the modom?





Or do I need to connect the router to the modom, and then get a card for my desktop?





The laptop has wireless built in, same networking standard as the router. I just don't know if I need to get an adapter for the computer, as well.











All I plan to use the networking for is internet; I don't really care about file sharing.
Networking?
You should connect the modem to the router (in the farthest left port) and then take another Ethernet cable and connect it to your computer in the place where you would connect the modem to the computer if you didn't have a router. And you should not need to buy a card for the PC or anything.
Networking?
Most wireless routers have ports for wires as well as the wireless part.





Pole----House---Modem---Router---Deskt...


Pole----House---Modem---Router))) Laptop





Wire= ---- Wireless=)))





I drew you a little picture you understand now?





I
Reply:You have to connect the router WAN port to the DSL/cable modem provided by your ISP. You then connect to the router LAN ports (usually four exist on most brands of home wireless routers) using a wired connection (Ethernet cable) from your desktop or a wireless connection from your laptop. You can have both connected at the same time.





-MikeD


Certified network engineer w/ 16 years of experience

purchase flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Bibi Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting