Saturday, October 24, 2009

Why won't my linksys router work with my at&t Modem?

My linksys has speed booster and it worked with my old cable modem, but when I switched to at%26amp;t dsl, it won't recognize the modem.
Why won't my linksys router work with my at%26amp;t Modem?
I think the speed booster has nothing to do with the WAN side (AT%26amp;T.)


I would call AT%26amp;T and find out how the service hands out IPs. Ask if it is PPPoE or DHCP or whatever. Router's are usually set to DHCP as default when you hit the reset button on the back. Get any server info you need then consult your router manual or call their support to set it up correctly.
Why won't my linksys router work with my at%26amp;t Modem?
I would try the following:


1. connect your PC derectly to the modem and find out the IP address of the new service by using ipconfig command.


2. Compare it with your old ip address from the old ISP.


3. Check to see if your linksys router still have the old ip address. It might need to be released to optain a new IP
Reply:One other thing you need to check on. You should have the manuals for both the modem and the router, check what the default IP is on both units. My Linksys router was defaulting to the same address as the modem, which caused a network conflict. Simply changing the address on the router to be xxx.xxx.xxx.2 solved the problem, as the two units no longer shared a common address. The router would then ID the modem and everything was fine.





(When the two machines have the same address, the router does not see the modem, because it thinks that address is itself, which it is. The modem needs to have a different address than the router, so it will see it as a different device.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Bibi Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting