Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Using Remote Desktop.......?

I want to connect, via RDP, from my laptop at home, to a friend's laptop. I have xp pro, and my friend also has xp pro. RDP is configured on both machines.





The computer I'm going to use has a wireless router attached to hte cable modem. The computer I'll be connecting TO is solely connected/hard wired, to the cable modem.





If I have my friend do an ipconfig, is it going to give her the real address of her machine? Or is it going to give a 192.168.x.x address? I can't remember whether or not the cable modem will give out a real outside address when doing an ipconfig on a routerless network...?? If not, what sites can she visit to get her real ip address so that I can connect to her?


Thanks!
Using Remote Desktop.......?
It all depends how she is set up...





If the modem managing PPPOE or is the computer?





Have her visit http://whatismyip.com/ to get her IP address... She will also depending on her setup, have to make a hole in her modem to allow udp and tcp connections through port 3389 and punch the same hole in her computer's firewall.





I would for-go this complexity and have her fire up MSN or Live messenger and have her navigate to Actions-%26gt;Request Remote Assistance. You should be able to control her computer that way.





Good Luck!
Using Remote Desktop.......?
Don't use http://logmein.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Bibi Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting