Friday, November 6, 2009

Why does my computer's Local Area Connection switch back and forth between on and off repeatedly?

My internet connection comes from the cable in the wall, into an Arris modem, then through a 25 ft ethernet cord into my room where my computer is at. Randomly, after plugging it into my computer (it's not plugged in full time) it switches between "Local Area Connection is now connected; Speed 100.0 Mbps" and "Local Area Connection; A network cable is unplugged. It usually goes away after I unplug it for a while.





During these happenings, I do not loose internet what so ever. It is actually occuring right now. My net does seem to slow down some though. Is there any cause for this? And how might I be able to fix it?





Thanks, Jc.
Why does my computer's Local Area Connection switch back and forth between on and off repeatedly?
Sounds to me like latency as a result of a 25 ft LAN cable. Why don't you move the modem into your room. That should take care of the problem. The cable company may charge you to come out and run another cable though, so call them first to check.
Why does my computer's Local Area Connection switch back and forth between on and off repeatedly?
It may also be a bad cable or connection.
Reply:Some computers also have various "sleep" settings, so maybe some inactivity on your network card is making it go to sleep.


Could be a faulty cable, or perhaps your router is going flaky.


I had a problem similar to this although I did lose internet connection, but all my PC's connected via a switch still could see each other.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Bibi Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting